A Comprehensive Skin Care Routine Plan for Combination Skin
Finding the ideal skincare products and routine can be challenging, particularly if you have combination skin. Combination skin is characterized by dry and oily face areas, necessitating an extensive skin health management plan to ensure all areas receive adequate attention.
In this article, we’ll outline a five-step skincare routine and offer tips for maintaining healthy skin for those with combination complexions.
What Causes Combination Skin?
As indicated by board-certified dermatologist and tasteful master Kavita Mariwalla, MD, FAAD, blend skin is normal like other skin types. What matters is that blended skin is slick in certain spots and dry in others. For instance, Mariwalla noticed that having a slick T-zone and dry cheeks is not unexpected.
Nothing causes blended skin (it is inherited), but it can change with hormonal and occasional movements. As we age, our skin might become drier and less sleek as it responds to hormonal changes. Other chemical-driven factors that can cause changes in the skin are periods and contraceptives.
Indications of Combination Skin
A sleek and dry skin mix can appear in various ways and amounts. There’s no immovable rule to what it looks like and believes, and it might change with the climate, way of life factors, and stress. With some perception, you can precisely sort out how your Combination skin introduces itself.
Indications Of Sleekness Might Include:
- Gleaming skin
- Bigger-looking pores
- Skin blemishes
Indications Of Dryness Might Include:
- Sensations of snugness or unpleasantness
Use items in a specific order to aid in the creation of more adjusted skin.
- Chemical: It’s vital to eliminate any development that happens out of the blue.
- Toner: Toner eliminates any oil your cleaning agent missed and balances your skin’s pH levels. Try to snatch a liquor-free toner.
- Serum: Serums hydrate and safeguard your skin. It’s ideal to choose a serum with hyaluronic acid.
- Cream: With blended skin, you’ll need two lotions. Pick a velvety recipe for sleek parts for dry regions, like a lightweight, water-based recipe.
- Sunscreen: Pick a lightweight recipe with an SPF of at least 30.
- Cosmetics. Whenever wanted, utilize light items. Establishment and concealer should have no-oil formulas.
At night, take a stab at applying items in a specific order:
- Cosmetics remover. If you wear cosmetics, cosmetics remover helps keep pores unclogged and allows your skin to relax. Micellar water is one of the gentlest items to use for this.
- Chemical. Purify constantly. An evening chemical ought to eliminate any cosmetic remnants, notwithstanding normal development.
- Exfoliant. One time each week, exfoliants are perfect for eliminating dead skin cells, which keep pores clear and ease dry regions.
- Facial cover. One time each week, attempt multi-covering, which is the point at which you apply various veils to various areas of the face.
- Intensive treatment. Nights are best for more grounded items, so pick an emollient-rich cream for dry regions.
Step by Step Instructions for Skin Care Routine
Step 1: Cleansing Gently
Every skincare regimen begins with cleansing. It helps remove impurities, makeup, and excess oil from the skin. The best cleanser for combination skin is one that won’t strip away natural oils. Here are some recommended cleansers for combination skin:
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
- Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
Step 2: Toner Balance
Toners help regulate the skin’s pH levels and prepare it for further steps in your skincare regimen. They also remove any remaining impurities. When dealing with combination skin, opt for a toner that’s alcohol-free and uses gentle ingredients; here are some recommended choices:
- Thayers Witch Hazel Toner
- Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner
- Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner
Step 3: Effective Treatment
The next step in your skincare regimen should be using an effective treatment product. Depending on what issues are bothering you, some great options for combination skin include:
Vitamin C Serum: Vitamin C is an incredibly potent antioxidant that brightens and protects skin from environmental stresses. For combination skin types, some great options to consider are:
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
- Sunday Riley CEO 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum
- Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
- Salicylic acid: Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid that helps exfoliate skin and unclog pores, making it especially beneficial for those with oily or acne-prone areas on their face. Combination skin benefits from:
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser
Step 4: Hydration
Hydration is vital for healthy skin, no matter your skin type. For combination skin specifically, opt for a lightweight moisturizer that won’t clog pores. We recommend the following moisturizers:
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
- Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM
- Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer
Step 5: Sun Protection
The sun can damage your skin if you don’t protect it. Even on cloudy days, UV rays can damage the skin. Combination skin requires a lightweight sunscreen that won’t leave behind a greasy residue. Sunscreens for combination skin include:
- EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Fluid Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60
What Skincare Routine Should I Have For Combination Skin?
A skincare routine for combination skin should include gentle cleansing, balancing toner, effective treatment, hydration, and sun protection. Look for products formulated specifically for combination skin and avoid using harsh products that can strip your skin of its natural oils.
What Is The Best Way To Take Care Of Combination Skin?
The best way to care for combination skin is by following a consistent skincare routine that includes gentle cleansing, balancing toner, effective treatment, hydration, and sun protection. Additionally, it’s essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep.
What Are The 7 Steps Of Skincare?
The 7 steps of skincare typically include cleansing, toning, exfoliating, treating, using a serum, moisturizing, and using sunscreen. However, not all of these steps are necessary for every person, and it’s essential to tailor your skincare routine to your skin type and concerns.
What Should Combination Skin Avoid?
Combination skin should avoid using harsh, stripping cleansers, as well as heavy, pore-clogging moisturizers. It’s also important to avoid using products that contain alcohol or fragrances, as these can irritate the skin. Additionally, be cautious with exfoliation, as over-exfoliating can damage the skin barrier.
The Bottom Line
Taking care of combination skin doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Keeping your skin healthy and looking is as simple as following a five-step skincare routine.
Remember to use gentle products that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils, and look for ingredients that target your specific skin concerns. By caring for your skin inside and out, you can achieve healthy, radiant-looking skin that you’ll be proud to show off.